People have been meditating in various forms for thousands of years. Many cultures have their own forms of meditation, while others overlap, sharing similar elements and traits. But regardless of minute differences, most people and cultures meditate as a part of attaining higher spirituality, or as Rasta seh, a Iyah Ites (higher heights).
There are also various ways people meditate. Some are:
- using imagery or visualization of mentally relaxing places;
- silently repeating a spiritually/mentally calming word, phrase or thought (mantra) to help keep out distractions;
- using an increased sense of awareness to concentrate/experience the present through broadened senses such as smells, sounds;
- transcendental, which is using mantra to eliminate all thoughts from the mind.
- and yoga, which involves performing postures and controlling breathing exercises to achieve healthier body and a calmer mind.
Meditation helps alleviate many stress-related illnesses like asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, migraines and fatigue.