Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Our Free Newsletter

Monday, October 3, 2011

Conscious Itation (Meditation)



For I, Kaya, meditation is the path I take when I engage in communion with the Divinity within me- 
i & I.
As a youth my Mother introduced me to meditation as a way of calming me because I use to have an acute case of asthma and a wicked case of vexation of the spirit and those two, when mixed, can drive a single mother clear up over a mad house wall. So she traipse me over to this Hindu man who showed two ah we lessons in dhyāna. I have been meditating ever since then, on and off.


People have been meditating in various forms for thousands of years. Many cultures have their own forms of meditation, while others overlap, sharing similar elements and traits. But regardless of minute differences, most people and cultures meditate as a part of attaining higher spirituality, or as Rasta seh, a Iyah Ites (higher heights).

There are certain common features  in all meditation, regardless of culture: a quiet/peaceful setting, concentration/focus/attention, a comfortable position, relaxed breathing.

There are also various ways people meditate. Some are:
  • using imagery or visualization of mentally relaxing places; 
  • silently repeating a spiritually/mentally calming word, phrase or thought (mantra) to help keep out distractions; 
  • using an increased sense of awareness to concentrate/experience the present through broadened senses such as smells, sounds; 
  • transcendental, which is using mantra to eliminate all thoughts from the mind.
  • and yoga, which involves performing postures and controlling breathing exercises to achieve healthier body and a calmer mind.

Meditation helps alleviate many stress-related illnesses like asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, migraines and fatigue.
When I meditate, I remain still and embrace the stillness of mind. Most times I chant a mantra, but sometimes when in nature, I immerse myself in the sounds, smells, and feel of my surroundings.
I love meditating by the sea, fountains, streams and rivers because the sound of water dancing over rocks calms my soul. And if birds flock by, they bring chirps and flapping, flittering feathers to the orchestra.
When I have no phones ringing, computers blinking, cars beeping, and nothing demanding my attention, I can feel myself drifting within my mind. I often find that my thoughts continue rolling involuntarily, and so I refocus on my mantra, sounds and sensations around and/or within me. When I get to that space within where there is very little thought outside of natural phenomenon- my heartbeat, the breeze,etc., my mind is peaceful and relaxed. I've decreased my negative thoughts and energy while increasing self-awareness and positivity.
I read somewhere once that when we calm ourselves in meditation, our neurotransmitters rest from sending on thoughts/electric charges to our minds. Its like a deep form of rest.
Itation rejuvenates mind, body and soul.
Namaste...RastafarI





4 comments:

  1. Interesting post... I'm actually thinking about doing some yoga and relaxing the mind and spirit... Life keeps me so tightly wound and on the go sometime going to the quiet place in your mind helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonell, it also reinforces discipline and maintains balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kaya,
    thank you so much, for your visit.
    meditation is a gentle force in my life, that i turn to daily.
    a serene and thoughtful post, you have here.

    One love~
    soul aperture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meditation is the gateway, through which you arrive to the world of freedom. thanks kaya bless up one love

    ReplyDelete

Say What You Sayin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

Spoken Word Griots: African Oral Tradition in Caribbean Music (Third Part) - Calypso

Spoken Word Griots: African Oral Tradition in Caribbean Music (Third Part) - #Calypso by K. Omodele African traditions and customs are i...

Popular Posts