Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Our Free Newsletter

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

NO FAIRY-TALE VALENTINES (A Sonnet for a Queen)

                        Abeng Poetry: No Fairy-Tale Valentines (A Sonnet for a Queen)

                                             copyright K. Omodele 2016

For The Empress:

I do not celebrate Saint Valentine
I know December Twenty-Fifth's untrue
Laugh to the floor at mythic fairy tales
But envision dancing 'mongst stars with you.

Won't fool our child about no Easter eggs
Saint Nick with reindeer and sleigh 'pon roof
If he asks me have I known miracles
Tell him Jah gifted me him and you.


Queen-mother you rode rough roads with your King
Determined hearts conquer walls, that's true.
When he questions us 'bout divinity
We'll pull him tight, wrap my arms around you.

No masquerade ball, no Valentine themes,
I'll three-step* whole night my child and my Queen.

* a type of waltz to soul music

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What You Sayin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

Spoken Word Griots: African Oral Tradition in Caribbean Music (Third Part) - Calypso

Spoken Word Griots: African Oral Tradition in Caribbean Music (Third Part) - #Calypso by K. Omodele African traditions and customs are i...

Popular Posts